Thursday, January 15, 2009

IT'S OFFICIAL!

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Ride to Cure Diabetes 2009

JDRF Ride registration opened today! I signed up for the Killington, VT ride that will be held on Saturday, 29 August. I am so stoked! I am also a little nervous...I have to raise $4,200!

You will be able to keep up with my preparation and training on this blog. And, my fundraising page is hosted at ride.jdrf.org. The JDRF website also contains a lot of information about the ride, Type 1 diabetes, and the search for a cure.

To my mind, this effort has two objectives: 1) raising money to fund JDRF research intiatives, and 2) raising awareness about diabetes. I encourage each of you to learn more about diabetes, its treatment, and its implications. While most of us are safe from Type 1 diabetes, studies indicate a whole bunch of us will have to deal with Type 2 diabetes. And, while they are definately not the same, both types can cripple our bodies, destroy our senses, and derail our aspirations. In that regard, learning about diabetes in order to make better health choices will benefit us all. And your support for the Ride will benefit those who are facing a remarkably challenging disease every hour of every day, those who hope that a cure will spare them the full toll waged by Type 1 diabetes.

As it is for me, some of you will find that this Ride and your support of it will be very personal. I am crazy about my sons. So it is an easy decision to do something like this for Braeden. By getting your help, I can join hundreds of other cyclists to support the research that will one day cure my little boy.

If you feel lead to contribute, please know that I am deeply grateful for your sacrifice. Now may be one of the toughest times to ask folks to part with money. That is one reason why every donation is significant and precious. And it is one reason why your act of giving will be so rewarding. But perhaps the most rewarding part of all is that you will be doing something wonderful to help a beautiful 2 year-old rediscover the carefree wanderings of childhood.

Thanks from me and my family,
Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment


Hey there!